Search using this query type:

Search only these record types:

Advanced Search (Items only)

Browse Items (10 total)

  • Tags: transportation

Mile post at New Fork Church 1.jpg
This is a stone road marker placed by General John Hartwell Cocke, the Fluvanna County Overseer of Roads, in 1828. This specific marker directed people from the Fluvanna County seat at Palmyra to the James River at New Canton. There were multiple…

Afton Railroad Station, east of Crozet tunnel circa 1950's

Burning of covered bridge 1931.jpg
This newspaper clipping shows the burning of the Covered Bridge over the Rivanna River at Palmyra in 1931. Although this was done by the Virginia State Highway Department under controlled conditions, it was still a sight to see. This bridge was…

William Henry Brill and Mildred Anne Long Brill in front of the Greene County Courthouse and Jail. Date is uncertain but believed to be late 1800s.

Covered bridge 1931.jpg
The covered bridge at Palmyra was built in 1884 by W.R. and C.C. Cocke to replace earlier wooden bridges. The 1884 bridge was of mortise and tenon construction, and was built using 3,000 white-oak pegs instead of nails or bolts. One of the pegs is…

In this document, the Road Commissioner for Green Springs. The commissioner has granted $243.17 to local parties in need of transportation improvements. Uses for the money include the buying, feeding, and bringing of mules. It appears that, on the…

The Virginia Central Railroad was a vital link between the region just east of the Blue Ridge Mountains and Richmond. When vast mineral deposits were being mined in Mineral City in Louisa County, the railroad was vital for transporting shipments of…

This metal sign, posted just a few miles outside of Louisa, was intended to lure tired travelers with the promise of meals and a night's lodging for $2.00 (plus the added attraction of a garage for those who arrived by automobile).

The Louisa…

Three Chopt Rd.jpg
Three Chopt Road (Three Notched Road)

This picture shows a tree with three notches etched in the bark, along Three Chopt Road also known as Three Notched Road. It was an early road built upon an old Native American trail. The road runs through…

High School students North Palmyra to Wildwood May 1 1908 pic2.jpg
On Friday, May 1, 1908 students from Palmyra High School boarded the train in North Palmyra on this momentous occasion. Here, they left Station 812 at 9:45 and traveled to the next station – Wildwood. Although this station had no memorable name,…
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2