Old Miners Chapel
This building was known as Miner's Chapel in which the miners worshiped. A movement led by the women of Mineral City, many of whom were members of the Anti-Saloon League of Virginia, founded many churches in the town by 1920. The churches sought to end the negative influences of mining and to provide a place of worship to the families of the miners. The block on which the Church of the Incarnation now stands on Rt. 522 North once housed six or seven saloons. The campaign worked as the sale of liquor was eventually banned in Mineral.
Louisa County Historical Society Archives
Louisa County Historical Society
All items in our archives have been donated to The Louisa County Historical Society with express permission to use them only for not-for-profit purposes of education and individual research. We make them available online to further those ends. Anyone wishing to use images online or in printed publications must obtain express written permission to do so from the Louisa County Historical Society and the legal copyright holder. Users assume full responsibility for disputes arising from copyright violations or invasions of privacy.