Piedmont Virginia Digital History: The Land Between the Rivers
Search using this query type:

Search only these record types:





Advanced Search (Items only)

Old Tavern of Columbia

Far left - Old Tavern.jpg
Old Tavern at Columbia - as it is being taken down - 1953 - photo taken by F.O. Rakes.jpg
Closeup of the Old Tavern at Columbia.jpg

Dublin Core

Title

Old Tavern of Columbia

Subject

Old Tavern of Columbia

Description

Early taverns of America were places where members of the community and travelers alike could eat, drink, gather, and sometimes even sleep. There were several taverns located in Columbia throughout the years since the town’s founding. This building stood on the south side of St. James Street until it was taken down in 1953. John Tinsley began operation of the tavern around 1800. The lot may have been bought even before Columbia was founded. The last memory of the use of the tavern was as a post office.

The first picture shows the street scene where the Old Tavern was located, with it shown to the left. The second picture shows a close up of that photo, with the emphasis on the Old Tavern. The third photo was taken in 1953, as the Old Tavern was being taken down.

Creator

Unknown

Source

Fluvanna County Historical Society Archives and Bulletins 25 and 26

Publisher

Fluvanna County Historical Society

Date

1800

Contributor

Unknown

Rights

All rights reserved. Permission to reproduce any part of this publication in any form or by any means must be obtained in writing from the Society.

Format

Photographs

Language

English

Coverage

Columbia, taverns, community, post office

Contribution Form

Online Submission

No