Search using this query type:



Search only these record types:

Item
File
Collection
Simple Page
Exhibit
Exhibit Page

Advanced Search (Items only)

Browse Items (18 total)

This is the mill built after the original was destroyed during the Civil War in 1863.

Tags:

1935 photograph of Valentine's Mill from Library of Congress

Tags:

Photo of Valentine's Mill dated 1935, from the Library of Congress

Tags:

A 1935 photograph furnished to LCHS by two different donors. One note states:
"Valentine Mill located on Rte. 22 about 2 miles west of Trevilians. Photo taken in 1935 by Frances Benjamen Johnston, WPA photographer, furnished to Society by Ferol O.…

Tags:

A letter outlining the several land transfers of the property containing Whitlock's Mill (operated 1886-1914), previously called Hancock's Mill (? - 1886). The mill ceased operation sometime between 1921 and 1934.

Tags:

Photo of Shelton's Mill Ruins

Tags:

Photo of Shelton's Mill

Tags:

Photo of Shelton's Mill

Tags:

Photo of Shelton's Mill in 1991

Note: this is the same photo as 054_2011_07_085

Tags:

The original Shelton's Mill was completed around 1820, but was destroyed by fire in 1859. A second Shelton's Mill was built in the same location completed in 1863. It operated continuously until 1960. The mill building still stands when this was…

Tags:

Drawing by Anna Jane T. (cannot read last name on lower right of drawing)

Tags:

Built in the later-1700s, known as "Baker's Mill" until purchased by Reuben Ruffner in January 1845. Mill was washed away by flood waters in 1928

Tags:

A drawing of Payne's Mill

Tags:

This is a photo of a black-and-white drawing of Payne's Mill.

Note that similar photos of this drawing of Payne's Mill exist in LCHS archives under these identifiers:
054_2009_08_113
054_2009_08_093 (two photos have this…

Tags:

The Old West Mill located in the Green Spring area on the South Anna River was destroyed by fire "a few years" prior to 1974.

Tags:

A photo of Holladay Mill

Tags:

This mill was owned by various members of the Michie family prior to being deeded to John S. Buck in 1849. Ever since then the mill has been known as "Buck's Mill". On Harris Creek at old Price's Road, now 208.

Tags:

John Tisdale and Frances, his wife deed Bernard's Mill and surrounding property to James Trevelian on January 9, 1804.
Names of certain creeks and a bridge are stated which may help with identification of the mill's location.

Tags: