Search using this query type:



Search only these record types:

Item
File
Collection
Simple Page
Exhibit
Exhibit Page

Advanced Search (Items only)

Burning of the Palmyra Covered Bridge

Dublin Core

Title

Burning of the Palmyra Covered Bridge

Subject

bridges
transportation
roads

Description

This newspaper clipping shows the burning of the Covered Bridge over the Rivanna River at Palmyra in 1931. Although this was done by the Virginia State Highway Department under controlled conditions, it was still a sight to see. This bridge was originally built by Palmyra patron Walter Timberlake in 1828 and then sold to the state in 1847. It was burned by Union General Philip Sheridan during the Civil War in 1865, and rebuilt many several times after the storms carried the bridge downstream, but the covered bridge had seen its last day in 1931.

The steel overhead truss Pembroke Pettit Bridge at Palmyra replaced the covered bridge at Palmyra.

Creator

Fluvanna County Historical Society

Source

Fluvanna County Historical Society Archives;
Fluvanna Bulletin #83 by Minnie Lee McGehee, “Fords, Ferries, Bridges and Signposts: Early Travel in Fluvanna”

Publisher

Fluvanna County Historical Society

Date

1931

Contributor

Fluvanna County Historical Society Archives; Fluvanna Bulletin #83 by Minnie Lee McGehee, “Fords, Ferries, Bridges and Signposts: Early Travel in Fluvanna”

Rights

All rights reserved. Permission to reproduce any part of this item in any form or by any means must be obtained in writing from the Fluvanna County Historical Society.

Contribution Form

Online Submission

No

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

Newspaper clipping