Search using this query type:



Search only these record types:

Item
File
Collection
Simple Page
Exhibit
Exhibit Page

Advanced Search (Items only)

Covered Bridge at Palmyra

Dublin Core

Title

Covered Bridge at Palmyra

Subject

transportation
roads

Description

The covered bridge at Palmyra was built in 1884 by W.R. and C.C. Cocke to replace earlier wooden bridges. The 1884 bridge was of mortise and tenon construction, and was built using 3,000 white-oak pegs instead of nails or bolts. One of the pegs is displayed in the Old Stone Jail Museum, and was donated by Cora Wills Hannah.

On the back of the first photo, Cora Hannah writes:

“The old covered bridge over Rivanna River at Palmyra—when dams were in and floods came this bridge would be taken off of foundation and it rolled down the river in tact. It usually landed on Carysbrook or Lanford’s [?] lowgrounds and was brought back after being taken down and rebuilt on the pillars that never washed away. This was quite easily done because it was put together with wooden pins and each piece as numbered north and south as N or S and the numbers were accurately put on and did not wash off. Cora W. Hannah”

The covered bridge was burned in 1931 and replaced by the Pembroke Pettit steel truss bridge.

The second shows a postcard (no writing on back) by W.E. Burgess of Scottsville, VA

Creator

Fluvanna County Historical Society

Source

Fluvanna County Historical Society Archives
Fluvanna Bulletin #83, 2009, by Minnie Lee McGehee, “Fords, Ferries, Bridges and Signposts: Early Travel in Fluvanna”

Publisher

Fluvanna County Historical Society

Date

1884-1931

Contributor

Fluvanna Bulletin #83, 2009, by Minnie Lee McGehee, “Fords, Ferries, Bridges and Signposts: Early Travel in Fluvanna”

Rights

All rights reserved. Permission to reproduce any part of this item in any form or by any means must be obtained in writing from the Fluvanna County Historical Society.

Contribution Form

Online Submission

No

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

Photo