In 1850, Jabez Massie found a number of stone tools while working his farm north of Louisa. He put the items in his barn. Over 100 years later, his grandson, Quintus Massie, donated the items to the Louisa County Historical Society.
With the permission of owners of the Panamint Farm, the Society conducted a preliminary inquiry at two sites on their farm believed to be the locations of villages of Native peoples.
After conducting research at the Virginia Department of Historic Resources, Dr. Dan Mour supervised an archaeological dig at the sites.
The items in this exhibit were discovered during excavation on October 21, 2007.
VS.2e, VS.2f, USI.3c
Louisa County Historical Society