Search using this query type:

Search only these record types:

Simple Page
Exhibit Page

Advanced Search (Items only)

Louisa County Historical Society

Dublin Core


Louisa County Historical Society


The archival collection of the Louisa County Historical Society is housed at the Sargeant Museum, 214 Fredericksburg Ave, Louisa, Virginia. All items in this collection are the property of the Louisa County Historical Society. See Rights and Reproduction Policy below.

The collection has been maintained by the Soceity since 1966 and contains over 12,000 items. The achives has been indexed and appointments can be made for research by contacting the museum director at

Requests for assitance in your research can be arranged with the museum staff at a suggested donation of $20 per hour.


All items in our archives have been donated to The Louisa County Historical Society with express permission to use them only for not-for-profit purposes of education and individual research. We make them available online to further those ends. Anyone wishing to use images online or in printed publications must obtain express written permission to do so from the Louisa County Historical Society and the legal copyright holder. Users assume full responsibility for disputes arising from copyright violations or invasions of privacy.


Louisa County Historical Society (LCHS)

Items in the Louisa County Historical Society Collection


FOUNDED: Church built in 1876; It is one of the 4 continuously operating Catholic churches in the Diocese of Richmond.

LOCATION: Rt. 618, Fredericks Hall Rd.,…

Among the various sects seeking to follow more pure apostolic ways in Louisa County were the Christadelphians. Also know as Thomasites, this group originally built the curiously shaped Octagon Church in lower Louisa County in 1858. The structure was…

Rev. Tucker served the mission churches of the Episcopal Diocese of Vigininia, one of which ws St. James Episcopal Church in the Town of Louisa.

FOUNDED: current church built in 1881

LOCATION: Ellisville Road, town of Louisa

INFORMATION: The church was started after the Civil War and shared space with the Methodist Church in Louisa for many years. By 1881, the congregation raised…

FOUNDED: Early 1740’s during the Great Awakening under the ministry of The Reverends Samuel Davies and John Todd.

LOCATION: Three Chopt Road, Gum Springs

INFORMATION: Oldest Presbyterian Church in continuous use in Virginia. Only remaining…