Search using this query type:



Search only these record types:

Item
File
Collection
Simple Page
Exhibit
Exhibit Page

Advanced Search (Items only)

Town of Louisa Walking Tour

Dublin Core

Title

Town of Louisa Walking Tour

Description

The County of Louisa was formed from Hanover County in 1742, and named for Princess Louisa, daughter of King George II and Queen Caroline of England. The meeting of the first Court was held on December 13, 1742 at the home of Matthew Jouett.

In 1836, the railroad reached the Louisa Courthouse. This began contact with the outside world for what had been a land locked settlement.

The Town of Louisa was incorporated under chapter 125 of the acts of the General Assembly 1872-1873, and approved on March 8, 1873. In 1878, 12 oil street lamps were installed around the business district. W. H. Vaden made rounds each morning, and evening to trim the wicks and light the lamps.

In January of 1888, the Town was struck by a devastating fire. Leaving most of the business district in ashes. It took time for the Town to be rebuilt, but when construction began brick replaced many of the wooden buildings.

Until the early 1900’s the sidewalks along Main Street were mostly plank. Tanbark walks covered the outlying areas. A bond issue in 1906 brought cement sidewalks to the town. From the late 1890’s until into the 1920’s Louisa was known as a summer resort for the fresh country air and the good southern food. This was before the advent of better roads and the automobile.

Items in the Town of Louisa Walking Tour Collection

Built in 1860 by Edwin Lee Smith, a local dentist. The house was sold in 1913 to the Boxley family.
In 1918 architect D. Wiley Anderson remodeled the home for the Boxley family. The renovations included: the addition of a dining room, a kitchen,…

The current Courthouse was built in 1905 it’s the fourth in a series of Courthouses standing as the centerpiece of the town. A Colonial Revival Structure, it was designed by D. Wiley Anderson an accomplished Architect from Richmond. The stone…

The jail was the fifth for the county operating from, 1868 to 1967. It was constructed in 1868 after a fire in which an inmate almost died burned the interior of the previous jail. This happened to several of the earlier jails as well. The bricks,…

This beautiful eighteenth century home is believed to be one of the oldest buildings in the Town. It was once a part of the “Courthouse Tract” land that was sold in 1807 to Henry Lawrence. This was the longtime residence of Mrs. Ada Fannagan who…

Built around 1852 for the Louisa Methodist Episcopal Church and the upper story for the Masonic Day Lodge #58. After the Battle of Trevilian Station the wounded were brought here. The furniture was moved to serve as a makeshift hospital.