Search using this query type:



Search only these record types:

Item
File
Collection
Simple Page
Exhibit
Exhibit Page

Advanced Search (Items only)

Greene County Historical Society

Dublin Core

Title

Greene County Historical Society

Description

Greene is one of the smallest counties in Virginia in both area and population, and the mountainous region of the County forms part of the Shenandoah National Park. The Greene County Historical Society, which was established in 1978, collects, preserves and displays for the public items that illustrate the history of the County.

The Society’s Museum is housed in the Jail that was built next to the Courthouse in Stanardsville, when Greene County split off from Orange County in 1838. The Museum, which is staffed by volunteers, is open on Fridays and Saturdays from 10 till 3. In addition to changing displays of artifacts, the Society’s genealogical research facilities are housed in the Museum, including a 110,000-name database of descendants of Greene County. Items pertaining to the history of the County, such as marriage and census records, and cemetery records, may be purchased at the Museum.

All images are the property of the Greene County Historical Society. See individual items for use restrictions and copyright. Contact the Society at 38 Court Street, PO Box 185, Stanardsville VA 22973, or by phone at 434-985-1409, or through http://www.greenehistory.org.

Contributor

Greene County Historical Society (Greene County Historical Society)

Items in the Greene County Historical Society Collection

McGuffey’s Eclectic Readers were written by William Holmes McGuffey and his brother Alexander in the 1830s and 1840s, and were used for decades throughout the US for primary-level students. The Readers emphasized spelling, vocabulary, and formal…

Dick and Jane were the main characters in a series of basic readers written by William S. Gray and Zerna Sharp and published by Scott Foresman, that were used to teach children to read from the 1930s through to the 1970s in the US. This page is from…

In rural parts of Central Virginia in the early 1800s children were home-schooled when there were few alternatives. These pages are from a home made mathematics textbook; the leather cover was home tanned, and the writing was done with a quill pen,…

This photograph, taken by Mrs. Virgie Bell, on February 7th 1910, is of the Parrott School in Greene County, its faculty and its students. The school was located on the north side of Amicus Road, opposite what is now the western entrance of the…

Captain Francis Marion McMullen and his wife Virginia Ann ran a school in Stanardsville after the Civil War. In August 1868 he bought the 10 acre Stanardsville property on which Forest Hill Academy stands, and built this school house. It is not known…